Joyce Merritt, Chief Appraiser
The Tax Assessors Office provides the following services for Ben Hill County Residents
- The Tax Assessor's Office investigates and values real and personal property subject to taxation in Ben Hill County.
- It is our duty and responsibility to keep up with technology, changing tax codes, methods, procedures, and local property values in order to produce an acceptable property tax digest. Counties are subject to financial penalties if the Georgia Department of Revenue finds the tax digest deficient.
- Our goal is to apply the property tax code fairly and to reflect goodwill, temperance, and fairness in carrying out our duties.
- We pledge to support, encourage, and cooperate with the County governing authority, the Board of Equalization, and the Tax Commissioner's Office, which collects and distributes the taxes we assess. Working together for the common good, our respective operations use uniform standards in discharging our joint duties.
- Notice of Property Inspection
The Ben Hill County Assessor’s office will be inspecting properties throughout the county on an ongoing basis. In addition to routine inspections, all properties that have building permits issued will be inspected. Also, mobile homes will be checked for current decals. This is to be considered notice of intent to enter properties by the Ben Hill County Board of Assessors and Staff.